10 habits and choices that can help you achieve permanent weight loss
When most people want to lose weight, they usually go on a diet that restricts calories. These may work, but only temporarily because a return to the person’s normal patterns causes the weight to return. That is frustrating because people try to lose weight with the goal of keeping it off. The key to permanent weight loss is a change in habits. Adopting healthy eating habits and getting rid of bad habits can not only help with lasting weight loss, it can lead to an improvement in health. These are wonderful benefits!
- Drink 8 to 10 cups of water each day. Cold water is especially helpful because calories are spent when the body warms it. Tea can aid abdominal fat loss, but it can cause insomnia if consumed after 12:00 p.m. It can also cause some people to urinate too much.
- Lift weights at a gym. This helps increase muscle cell size and increase the calories burned even when you are at rest. Muscle burns fifteen times as many calories as fat.
- Include some monounsaturated fats in your daily diet. These include walnuts and other nuts, seeds, olives and olive oil, plus avocados. These fats decrease hunger, lower cholesterol, and can help decrease cravings. But they are high in calories so limit them to a small amount daily.
- Try to exercise every day, even if it is only for fifteen minutes. This burns some calories, and improves mood.
- Eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables, or, to put it another way, eat a variety of colors of fruits and vegetables. Each color is made of different nutrients and when you eat a variety, you are most likely to get all those you need to burn fat and stay healthy. During winter, choose frozen produce, not canned. Some fruits and many vegetables have fiber that helps you feel full and is good for the intestines. Cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower are especially good at preventing weight gain.
- Eggs are an excellent source of protein and have nutrients to help decrease hunger.
- Oatmeal is one of the best grains you can eat! It too helps you to feel full, decreases the cholesterol level, is high in fiber but low in calories, and has many important minerals needed for health. It is easy to add other nutrients to oatmeal such as ground flax, wheat germ and wheat bran, ground nuts and berries.
- Beans are excellent sources of protein, as well as fiber to help you stay full. They also have many other nutrients.
- Another important type of fat to consume each day is omega-3 fatty acids. This is a type of polyunsaturated fat, fats that are essential fatty acids needed for good health. It is most abundant in fatty fish like sardines and salmon. Flaxseeds and walnuts are other sources. They help burn fat, decrease harmful chronic inflammation, and build muscle.
- It is important to get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Sleeping less than that increases the hormone ghrelin and that increases hunger feelings. Rest and relaxation also help decrease stress hormones like cortisol that increase the blood sugar level and weight gain.
This blog article isn’t meant to replace your primary health care provider.
The next article will cover foods, drinks and habits to give up to promote weight loss and good health. The following one will give suggestions on how to make the changes like giving up bad habits and making the good practices part of your everyday routine.